August 23, 2012

Lutsk castle is one of the most powerful fortresses of Volyn Region.

Lutsk High Castle, also known as Lubart's Castle,  is the main historic monument of the capital of Volyn. is the main historic monument of the capital of Volyn region, Ukraine. It began its life in the mid-14th century as the fortified seat of Gediminas' son Liubartas (Lubart), the last ruler of united Galicia-Volhynia. It is the most prominent landmark of Lutsk. Another city castle, built by the Czartoryski family starting from the 14th century, is now a ruin.
Author Modulo, License
Name:   Lutsk Castle or  
              Lubart's Castle 

Country: Ukraine 

Location: Volyn region, Lutsk

Architectural style: Gothic,

Renaissance Material: Brick 

Start of construction: 1350

Condition: restored and opened to the public 
The Kievan town of Luchesk had a wooden wall as early as 1075, when Boleslaw the Brave laid siege to it for six months. Yury Dolgoruky failed to take Lutsk after a six-weeks siege in 1149. In 1255, the walls of Lutsk were stormed by Jochi's grandson Kuremsa.
The current castle, towering over the Styr River, was built mostly in the 1340s, although some parts of the earlier walls were used. It repelled sieges by numerous potentates, including Casimir the Great (1349), Jogaila (1431), and Sigismund Kestutaitis (1436).
Since 1429 Lutsk castle became known throughout Europe. In 1429, there was held meeting of European kings and governors of the 15 states. The work of this congress was attended by  Emperor Sigismund, Vasily II of Moscow, Jogaila, Vytautas the Great, and the voivode of Wallachia. and representatives of many other states and knightly monastic orders. In total more than 15,000 guests came to this  congress  (members of royal families and servants not counted), while the population of Lutsk itself was only about 5,000 residents!

For several centuries in Lutsk castle functioned government of the territory, as well as acting Episcopal choir, here passed the Diet, was going to the aristocracy. All documents are carefully kept in the office of the castle, and all the events recorded in the city books that are now in the State Archives, and shed light on the history of Lutsk and its old castle. In the basement of the tower were Vladychey prison dungeons, which conducted its last days, prisoners sentenced to death. Among the prisoners languishing in the basement of the tower, was an outstanding poet Daniel Bratkovsky.
During the long reign of Vytautas, Lutsk Castle was further fortified to guard against artillery and gunfire. The principal entrance, now bricked in, was from the west and adjoined a bridge over outer moat. Three main towers, named after Lubart, Svitrigaila and the Bishop, were built up in the course of the 16th and 17th centuries.
The walls of the castle formerly enclosed St. John's Cathedral, the residence of the Grand Duke of Lithuania, and an episcopal palace. Of these buildings, only the Neoclassical palace of the bishops still stands.
On July 2, 1941 1,160 Jews were murdered within the walls of the castle. There is no monument or marker for this tragedy in the castle.
To date, the old castle was restored, and its territory is part of the historical and cultural reserve "Old Luck." In the castle you can get yourself by buying a ticket, or go on a guided tour, during which the guide will tell the story of the old castle. And recently, in order to attract tourists in the evenings at the Lutsk castle arranged a show - lights the torch, and the ancient fortress comes to life. At this time there are organized and guided tours, during which you can not only see preserved castle building, but also in the light of the torches to climb the tower or go down to the basement. The feel of such trips a day to remember, during the evening visit the castle every tourist is a character action medieval history.
Strolling through the old castle Lubart can see all three towers - Styrova, Vladychya and exit, the courthouse and the office, the Episcopal Palace, the ruins of the Prince's Palace. Archaeologists have discovered the ruins built in the XII century, the ancient temple of St. John the Divine, which was buried prince Lubart, other princes and bishops Volyn. At present the castle is a museum of books and museum of bells, there are often exhibitions, exhibits antique paintings from private collections. Regularly held jousting tournaments, famous of which is "The sword of the Lutsk castle." Watching the stadium, dressed in chain mail and armor knights, listening to the sound of swords and shields crackling like a plunge into the ancient history of the castle. This show makes it clear how far the life of modern people from the way of life and way of life of our ancestors. Each time during the festival and jousting Lutsk castle comes alive for a while, and tourists can feel the pulse of life.

 In the preparation of this article, were partially used materials of website: www.wikipedia.org

6 comments:

  1. замок с последнего фото - это просто нечто, нам бы такое в городе, цены бы не было...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Гарний замок. В загалі западна частина України, дуже багата на різні Замки. Рекомендую тім хто ще не був поїздити подивитись. І звичайно ж відвідати і цей замок обов'язково. Насправді я і сам тут ще не був, тож збираюсь подивитись.

    ReplyDelete
  3. очень красивые замки, есть некоторые которым уже почти семьсот летпросто невероятно, как они достояли до нашего времени!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. я тут живу! ))) жаль конечно что не в замке!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Its so amazing. I was a few weeks ago in Luzk - a small, but very beautiful old city.

    ReplyDelete